What we’re thinking about
We’re worried about Diane’s medicine. She has bad asthma and needs her inhaler. She has only 1-2 weeks left and she’s worried there will be a run on that medicine as people get sick and she’ll be left without. It’s quite stressful. We’re looking to score some more. Stay tuned.
We are finding our groove a bit in home schooling. Hunter is dining great although he’s telling us that school at home is “way harder” than regular school, which I’m excited to hear
The standing “quaran-time” happy hour is pretty great to have every day. While we don’t talk about much, it’s been great to see old faces and see how everyone is stressed out, the same as me.
Where we’re at:
The main thing on my mind is that this is going to last a LONG time and that it’s really going to impact a lot oF people. This is confluence of 3 things:
(1) The cases are going up. We’re on a higher trajectory than any other country
No other country has been this far into the pandemic and still had the number of cases growing at the rates the U.S. is seeing.
— Justin Wolfers (@JustinWolfers) March 20, 2020
(2) The reports from hospitals are that they’re running out of supplies already. One hospital has already ordered to stop testing people coming in so they don’t waste the gowns and masks.
This is the parking garage at Vanderbilt Medical right now pic.twitter.com/SRaqoKgJxu
— Nationalize the Action Economy (@thepoeticgopher) March 20, 2020
(3) There are still many areas that are not taking this seriously and not isolating themselves. This all but ensures this is going to spread and that we’re going to be inside for a lot longer than we thought. We needed to get EVERYONE inside and that is just not happening. Yesterday the California governor predicted that 56% of all Californias will get infected.
Friend who lives in Fort Green, Brooklyn told me he walked by three house parties tonight so we are all definitely fucked.
— Michael Ian Black (@michaelianblack) March 21, 2020
Another crazy moment by our president where he lashed out a reporter:
Q: What do you say to Americans who are scared
TRUMP: “I say that you’re a terrible reporter, that’s what I say.”
— Pod Save America (@PodSaveAmerica) March 20, 2020
- World: 287,239— Total deaths: 11,921 (up 1883)
- USA: 19,931 — Total deaths: 275 (up 70)
- Marin: 37 cases (up 12), 0 deaths
Countries w/ the largest increases in new #COVID19 cases over the past week:
Cases today [+% increase]
🇮🇹 41,035 [+172%]
🇮🇷 18,407 [+62%]
🇪🇸 17,147 [+307%]
🇩🇪 10,999 [+259%]
🇫🇷 10,877 [+280%]
🇺🇸 10,442 [+726%]
🇨🇭 3,863 [+350%]
🇬🇧 3,277 [+452%]
🇳🇱 2,460 [+206%]
🇦🇹 1,843 [+266%]
— Global Health Strategies (@GHS) March 21, 2020