What a great game yesterday. After Jozy went down, the US was bad. Really bad, but escaped with 3 points. Without the 3 points, the tournament is basically over for them.
John Brooks scored, soccer fans roared, and minutes later, US 2, Ghana 1 was in the books as a great win. I was sure that Brooks was going to be a disaster, but instead, Brooks, only 21, is a hero. Nicely done.
Some interesting tidbits from the game:
- Here’s a video of a collection of videos from around the world of soccer fans celebrating the Brooks header off the foot of Graham Zusi.
- A cool video fo the tweet volume before and after the goal
- John Brooks found his wikipedia entry edited last night right after the game. Seems a big more accurate now:
- Updated Soccer Power Index odds to advance: Germany 98%, #USMNT 63% (33% pre-Ghana), Portugal 27%, Ghana 12%.
- Some notes i learned about Ghana during the game:
- They were rationing electricity so that everyone in the country could watch the game vs. the US. (link)
- Women in Ghana get 84 days of paid maternity leave (US get zero)
- The official language of Ghana is English although the country is divided into small groups that together speak more than 50 languages.
- Gold and cocoa are considered a mainstay of their economy
That’s it. Really looking forward to Sunday’s match against Portugal.
(thanks to Kesner for some interwebs stuff)