Saw Bruno last night and here are some thoughts:
- The trailer was hilarious BUT gave away way too many scenes. Watching the movie, I found that there was a setup and you already knew what was going to happen. This was true for the camping trip and the military attempt. Similarly, he gave away too many jokes from the movie on the Today show too which i posted about yesterday.
- Trailers giving away too much of a movie is a monstrous pet peeve of mine. I hate that films do it. I understand that it helps get people into the theaters more but it really degrades the actual experience. This is a whole other post for me. But man does it tick me off.
- With Borat, they explained the camera because they were filming everything for the station back home, and you could tell when there was a hidden camera. For Bruno, there was no explanation why the camera was following Bruno around for most of the time. There are some scenes where you wonder how they are filming it – like the swingers party scene. It made the movie feel less authentic and more fictional
- There are some great scenes that really show the insanity of America and of Hollywood. Some parents should be totally ashamed of themselves for how they pimp out their kids. Bruno is able to expose the absurdity of LA really well.
- The movie is lot like the movie Jackass except instead of doing anything just to be dumb, Bruno does gay things just to be dumb and films the reaction of other people. There’s actually quite a lot of similarities between the two
- I found that the narrative of the movie was pretty contrived. It was more a series of funny events strapped together than an actual story. Sure it tried to be a story of Bruno’s attempt to become famous but that is not really an arc.
- This is the best marketed movie i’ve seen in a long time. Everywhere i looked it was Bruno. His appearance on Letterman and The Today show were great. I really felt that this movie was an event which resulted in me marching out on opening night. I have to hand it to them – really great marketing.
So, i think as you can see, i felt the movie was hyped up abit too much for me and didn’t fully deliver. I still think it was pretty damn funny. I laughed a lot. But, i think it’s more of a Borat sequel than another innovative step. Personally i think Borat was better or at least more novel. I’m going 7.5 out of 10
- Bruno: Sacha Baron Cohen interviewed on the Late Show with David Letterman (telegraph.co.uk)
- Bruno Tries To Get A Hug From Matt Lauer (socialitelife.celebuzz.com)
- Bruno Gets Up Close and Personal with Eminem (themovieblog.com)
- Woman sues Bruno actor over injuries (thestar.com)
- Bruno: Sacha Baron Cohen’s film gets 18 rating (telegraph.co.uk)
- Sacha Baron Cohen’s Bruno Fools Alabama National Guard (huffingtonpost.com)