Many of you know of my love of The Wire. You can imagine my excitement when i heard from BroncosRule about the NY Times running a series where a reporter sat down and watched Season 5 of The Wire with real-life gangsgters. Columbia University sociologist, Sudhir Venkatesh, who has a new book “Gang Leader for a Day,” sits down and watches “The Wire” with a group of New York-area gang personnel.
- Part one: betting on who’s going to get it
- Part two: Being “a fly” meaning co-oping a cop and they all do it
- Part three: Butchie is very authentic and real thugs do cry
- Part four: The old days make you stupid. Prop Joe took his eye off the ball and paid for it. Very real and very raw. And the importance of The Greeks.
- Part five: Being “a coin” and politics.
- Part six: nobody keeps their word
- Part seven:
- Part eight:
- Part nine:
I couldn’t read 7-9 as i’m not yet done with Season 5. I love these articles.